I am going to spare you any pictures that go with this story. You can thank me later. Yesterday I had to go back to see my endocrinologist about my diabetes. She wasn't thrilled with my blood sugars when she saw them last week. Apparently, the stress, the not taking care of my self and the pigging out isn't so good for diabetes. Who knew? SO, she told me, "Your blood sugars are crap." (Good thing we're BFF or I would have been offended). I had to go back yesterday so they could hook up a continuous glucose sensor to track my blood sugars and figure out EXACTLY what is going on. When I did this 5 years ago, before I got pregnant, it was a huge pain in the a**. I was thrilled when I saw the little device that they use now. It is less than 2 inches around. (I'm guesstimating, I really have no clue when it comes to measurements). But it's SMALL!
This is when it gets funny.......The dietitian asked me to lift my shirt so she can put the device in. She said, "We normally put it in tummies because it's most comfortable for people."
Me: "Great, that works for me, that's where my infusions go for my pump, no big deal."
I have to note here, that NO ONE EVER sees my tummy because it is not pretty. When my daughters see it, they point and say, "OWIES!" This is because I have so many stretch marks you can't even tell where one begins and where one ends, it is a continuous maze ALL over my tummy.
Back to the story.... I lift my shirt up and the dietitian (Christine is her name, so of course I liked her) just stares at my stomach and then just starts circling me. NOT kidding, she probably walked around me at least THREE times (maybe she thought it was going to get prettier) then said, "I am going to have our Minimed Rep. (diabetes pump person) come in and take a look, she is really good at inserting these."
I am thinking, great, let's invite the whole office in to see the freaks tummy! In all honesty they were very nice about it, but I was mortified.
So in walks this adorable size four lady, all trendy and put together and she says, "Ok honey, lets see what we have." I felt like I was a freak at the circus. She takes a look and says, "Oh, did you just have a baby?"
ME: "NO I HAD 15+ pounds of babies in me TWO and a HALF years ago!"
Cute lady: "Oh, wow, you look great." (Now they're lying to me). Low and behold she decides they need to put the sensor in my back (really my bum) where there isn't so much scar tissue. So now not only did they see my most embarrassing part of my body, now I have to take my pants off so they can put it in my bum. Seriously, if this isn't enough motivation to get my blood sugars straightened out, I don't know what is.
So if you see me walking around in the next few days, that bulge on my bum really isn't a growth, it's just a lovely sensor that is going to change my life.... right?
Tell me it's worth it....please?
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Wags, ugh! Sorry that had to have been hard. I'm being honest when I say that I think you look great and I just saw a pic on your blog the other day and thought WAgs looks great! So there, take that ladies at your doctors office! :0
I've been thinking about you lately. It has been so long, I feel like I need to catch up with you, but your blog does such a good job.
How long do you have to have this thing tracking your sugars? I hope you can get your sugars under control soon. Remember to take care of yourself even though life gets crazy with those kids!!
Any progress with Ellie and the hair pulling?
Post a Comment