Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bloomies!

Lovely pic. This was at 7 :15, Sunday morning before any coffee. You can def. tell I am NOT a morning person. Anywho.... lots to tell about this day. I convinced Kent to do Bloomsday with me this year. Last year I did it with his best friend, and I thought it would be nice to do it with my husband instead. I do love you though Bryan. Kent was not too eager, he grew up in Spokane and had NEVER done Bloomsday. He was worried because I am slightly competitive and he knew I would want to beat my 1:20 minute time from last year. I have to say, that would have been nice, but I knew that if we were going to do it together it would be more a leisurely, chatty pace. Kent finally agreed and I was excited to be able to spend the morning with him.
We left the kids at home and caught the bus downtown. We were there in PLENTY of time. We waited for an hour and a half in 44 degree weather for the race to start! It was fine, by this time I had some coffee in me and I was a tad more pleasant to be around (I'm assuming). Kent was actually talking to me, so I couldn't have been too grumpy. At 9:15 our colored group finally got to cross the start line! I was excited, the adrenaline was pumping the bands were playing, people were cheering and I looked behind me at Kent and he said, "I have to pee!" Can you believe it? My competitiveness side got ticked right a way! I kind of lectured him like he was one of the kids. (oops), but seriously, we stood for an HOUR AND A HALF right by 6 port-a-potties. He said, "Yeah, but I didn't have to go until we started moving."

Ok, I took a deep breath and let it go. I already knew I wasn't going to be breaking any records so when we reached the first mile marker we detoured over to the pots. As we're standing in line behind 6 other people, WTH??, a couple bounds out of the potty shack. I did a double take and the guys says, "It's all about team work!" Everyone in line just looked and didn't know how to respond. How gross is that? I don't know exactly what they were doing, but 2 peeps in a potty shack isn't good no matter what's happening!

After that stop, we chugged along and ran on and off for a few miles. I forget that my legs are almost 4 inches longer than Kent's. (He has a super long torso). When I was jogging along and looked over and he was hobbling I asked him what was going on. He said,

"My legs are so cramped I can barely move." I felt so bad, he seriously looked like he had a disability. He limped off to the side and stretched while I made my potty stop. After some stretching we were off and walking. At this point it was starting to warm up to at least 50 degrees. Clothes were coming off people, that I wish would never have been removed!

That's the other thing about Bloomsday, anyone can do it! Some of the outfits there really should have been banned. There were children present. When we got off the bus the first thing I saw, was what I thought was an older woman. I thought to myself, "Hmm, she must have played volleyball back in the day because she is wearing those little volleyball brief things." Not so much. As I got closer I realized it was an old man in spandex!! Why the hell would anyone wear a speedo to race in at Bloomsday??? I almost lost my breakfast. At that point, I was so bummed that I didn't have my camera with me, because all of you bloggers don't realize what you're missing out on! Just sit back and visualize, an old man with long stringy hair, a sweatshirt, speedo type spandex briefs, and socks with stripes up to his knees. Now I am feeling bad about going on and on about this, but someone really should tell these people it is NOT appropriate!

I have majorly digressed, but anyway, that's enough about our little 7.5 mile race. We finished in 1:45 minutes. We stopped for lunch on the way home around 12. At 1:30 I decided I wasn't too tired and I should probably go and at least be a sub for my outdoor soccer game. Unfortunately, all the other girls had the same idea. We were all out of steam, but there weren't enough of us for subs, so we all ended up playing the entire game! Needless to say, I was in bed by 9:00, asleep by 9:05 and the last thing I remember is Kent brushing his teeth. Then him saying, "You're snoring." I thought, I can't be snoring I just laid down, apparently it was 10:30 and Kent couldn't sleep because I was so loud! My body hadn't been that tired for a LONG time. (Since having babies), good thing I wasn't blogging then. Can you imagine the details from those events?

2 comments:

Papa said...

Congratulations on finishing ..AND..inspiring Kent to participate! Many (not too many) years ago, when Kent, Kelly and I went on a trip to Key West; I would get up at 0-dark-30 and go jogging. I was unable to persuade either one of the guys to crawl out of the rack and participate.Obviously my military leadership skills didn't work on them!!

Gigi's Thimble said...

That is too funny. I am laughing out loud.