Thursday, December 4, 2008

Traditions.....becoming expensive!

What a morning! We decided today would be the day we go to visit Santa! I called the mall downtown to find out what time they open, 10:00. All the kids ate breakfast and took showers, then put their pretty picture clothes on. (This took at least an hour). I was good, and made my coffee at home, and downed it all, knowing it may be a rough few hours. We arrived downtown at 9:50 raring to go. Before we left the house I raided my piggy bank and grabbed a bunch of quarters. We found a spot right out front and I plugged the parking meter for 40 minutes. We walked in the mall and Santa's chair was empty, which was fine, because we were early. We walked around and then I saw the sign that said Santa's hours. 11:00 A.M. I couldn't believe it, wouldn't you think Santa would have the same hours as the mall? We had an hour to waste! (This mall has no play place). We went to Nordstrom to get Ellie's croc sandal fixed, which took 5 minutes tops. The nice lady gave EVERYONE a balloon, which turned out to be really fun (not so much). After walking around for 10 minutes I realized I had to plug the parking meter soon. I knew I didn't have any more change so I went to a few stores and bought stuff, but they didn't give cash back as an option. (really?!) So, we went to Starbucks. We walked into this tiny Starbucks and it is PACKED out with tons of business people. Of course everyone is staring at us trying to maneuver through with our huge stroller (but few people cleared a path, it's more fun to watch me struggle). I ordered my second coffee of the day and got a chocolate donut for the kids. We waited for at least 10-15 minutes in this narrow little spot where the kids continuously banged their balloons on everyone and everything in site. Luckily a nice young girl was ahead of us, whose sister is having twins and has a nephew B's age. She was very sweet and patient with the chaos. While we were standing in line they made a wrong drink so they were giving it away for free. Well, not being shy, and with the morning going how it was, I boldly stepped up and grabbed it. It was a pumpkin frappuccino, which I love, but won't pay the money for. Plus there was whip cream on it for the kids!
Finally, I get my caramel macchiato and headed to scrounge up change in the van. (Starbucks doesn't give cash back either). The kids are waiting on the sidewalk in 30 degree weather while I stand on my head searching. All I come up with are a few dimes and nickels. This buys me until 11:10. I almost asked the nice man on his smoke break for some change, but I didn't have the nerve, I figured we could make it out in time. We head back into the mall and sit and have whip cream, donuts and coffee.



Yummy chocolate!


Still waiting for Santa!


Where is Santa?






He finally arrives! With all the chaos, I didn't actually get a pic. with the kids, with my camera. Brayden was better this year and DIDN'T scream, Dani just sat there looking confused, and Ellie made Santa work for his money. She screamed and tried to wrestle her way out of his grasp! The picture is great, but our scanner is down. Maybe later........... We walked out to the car at 11:10 and this is what I had............




With a $15.00 parking ticket, $22.00 Santa pics. and $5.00 at Starbucks it was a little more expensive than I planned for! It's all worth it though, right? Good thing I had my free, 3rd coffee (another grande) to drink on the way home.





6 comments:

Kelsey said...

Did I ever tell you I was Santa at the mall once? Santa showed up drunk and so I subbed until another Santa could come in. They told me not to talk:)

Papa said...

You should have brought "Frank" along to watch over the van!

Anonymous said...

oh crappy, crap, crap! THAT is a story to remember my dear...and I bow down to your persistence in getting the Santa shot- motherhood is all about sacrifices and parking tickets :-)

Dottie said...

You go! Way to manuever through a potentially nasty situation (late santa and three kids!) I love reading your blog. We got an Elf on the Shelf too, too bad D is a little young to understand. :)

Tami said...

Hysterical...only because I can see myself in the same situation! Good on you for sticking it out and getting those pictures! It makes me a little afraid for our Santa Pics!!! Although I won't be dealing with twins...how do you do it? Super Woman!

Tami said...

Oh yeah, and we got an Elf too....not sure how "magical" ours is this year. Maybe he can work on his skills over the summer and make a better impression next year?